Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Goodbye TARP

GOODBYE TUNKU ABDUL RAHMAN PARK! I'm writing this from England where I have just arrived after a wonderful three years on and off in Sabah. In memory of the place, I thought I'd post my picture from 1st September 2007 off Gaya island of perhaps the strangest and most beautiful creature I had the pleasure to meet there during the last three years: the Whip coral crab Xenocarcinus tuberculatus (family MAJIDAE).

I bowed out with a lovely day of dives (4 in all) with my daughter on 15th July 2009. I was surprised to see a new Damsel - Chromis ternatensis - which is new to the TARP aggregate fish checklist, and pleased to see a lovely Wrasse I've been keen to see in the park - Novaculichthys taeniourus (the Rockmover). As of today, my confirmed list stands at 441 plus 3 without evidence, and the confirmed aggregated TARP fish checklist weighs in at 560 plus 4 unconfirmed.

I've been so pleased to be part of this and hope that in due course, other divers and snorkellers will add entries to the aggregated list.

1 comment:

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi there!

I have just found your wonderful TARP blogs this morning. Too bad you have to leave KK. Hopefully you can still continue to share your insights about the marine park on your blog in future.

I have a marine life blog which is mainly about what I find around Perth when I go snorkeling and beachcombing. As there is a possibility that I might go and work at the uni in KK next year, I thought I could blog about marine life there too. FYI, I am from West Malaysia. And if that day comes, your blogs will be an important source of reference for me!

Thanks!
Chai