Thursday, June 5, 2008

Fish ID website on the way

This is not a fish. If I'm not mistaken, its name is Cerianthus filiformis from the anemone family CERIANTHIDAE, taken on 13th June 2007 on the Pyramid near Mamutik island.

Given my predilection for fish, I thought I'd get this in first or be accused of having a fish-only general marine website; having said that, today's blog is to let those interested know that I am beavering away at creating a simple key-based TARP fish identification website which I hope will be ready for testing in the next few days. The committed may already have tried via my TARPFish blog to view my 325+ illustrated panels of fish descriptions: not easy going, although quite a visual feast if using PicLens. Without a means to publish them (preferably as a way to test an unorthodox key for them first) I know some people would like some kind of guidance and I am trying to make it possible for someone to have a choice of only 4-6 fish when they first encounter any of my descriptive panels, rather than all 325 on their first shot!

Anyway, bear with me. After that, I need to analyse another snorkelling session recently which I know has turned up a few more species, so watch this space.

No comments: