Monday, June 9, 2008

Fish ID website ready

The first draft of my new fish identification website (TARP Fish) is now up. It's not overly exciting - it uses the same panels as are already accessible via my public gallery - but it provides a more flexible base for so much data than does a blog (I plan to stop publishing new items to my TARPFish blog) and more importantly, it provides an attempt at a user-friendly key for those unwilling to wade through all 325+ of my ID panels; used correctly it should allow you to home in on just a handful of possibilities at the first attempt. If you want to give it a test run and feed back any glitches, I'd be grateful. In due course it will be enhanced: I need to build links back to it from the checklist, which is the same one you can find at my TARPFish blog. I also want to link to my original photos as I log them into FishBase and also to comparison photos elsewhere on the web where my ID is not obviously based on official FishBase entries. I'm also planning to build links to other fish watcher sites around the world (though that is a saga in itself), and perhaps build some more sites like this for other places I've visited several times (e.g. Bootless Bay in PNG or Nusa Penida in Bali).

Needless to say, Lutjanus lutjanus (family Lutjanidae) can be found at my new website; it was photographed at Hanging Gardens off Gaya island on 1st September 2007.

No comments: